IGDA Game Accessibility Special Interest Group

New One Handed Controller - Your Thoughts Appreciated



Image of a prototype one-handed video game controller. (c) LEPMIS and Geoff Harbach.There is quite a shortage of one-handed controllers available today for non-Wii games consoles. You may be one of many people who tried and failed to get hold of the elusive "DragonPlus RPG DuoCon2" controller. OneSwitch and Broadened Horizons can supply people with some one handed controllers, but these still don't suit all.

Help may be at hand. Geoff Harbach of LEPMIS is working on a new design of one-handed controller that will come in left and right handed style (see prototype photo above).

To help him design the best controller he cans - he needs to hear from the people that count. Those that would potentially use one...

Do you think the idea of the two joysticks, top and bottom is a good idea? You would control one with your thumb, and one on your leg / gripping surface (see the black and white image above).

Would you want "ALL" of the buttons of a conventional JoyPad controller?

If it is not possible to fit all the buttons into the hand-held controller - what switches or functions do you feel would be the most important to have easy access to?

Would you actually just prefer the "DragonPlus DuoCon2 RPG" style over the grip-stick prototype?

Please contact Geoff with any thoughts you have here: Geoff@LEPMIS.co.uk. It would be greatly appreciated.

Labels:

2 Responses to 'New One Handed Controller - Your Thoughts Appreciated'

  1. # Blogger Daniel

    Hi,
    I like the idea. Actually I'm looking for a one hand controller because I am a game programmer and I started working on a new type of game. The joystick I'm looking for doesn't need all those buttons. I would be happy with 1 stick and 3 buttons...
    But I like this design. It looks cool.  

  2. # Blogger Unknown

    Hello Daniel,
     I found your business and seen what you guys do there at IGDA threw a Google search photo I stumbled upon that happened to rip my attention strait from what I was previously working on haha. The photo was "The Dragon Plus DuoCon2 RPG" Now I've had this problem that has been going on now for the past 8 years of my life!!! A problem that I just may think you have solved or can help me with this problem disappear if we worked together. Here's just a lil history on me and my background just so you can understand why I'm reaching out to you after loosing eight years of valuable Sony PS3 and now the newest console Sony Play Station 4 gaming experience??? On August 30th of 2003 I was very badly injured from a motorcycle accident that nearly took my life at the age of 23... I just turned 31 last month and was thinking back to when I was a teenager I had amazing times an many memories playing with friends on my Play Station 2 & 3. At the age of 23 I lost the ability to use my left arm and very close to losing the ability to move rest of my body because of a broken neck and a broken back! I originally was a lefty and since have learned how to survive using my right hand. I looked into one handed controllers (Right Handed) about a year after my accident and surprisingly couldn't find ANYTHING that worked or even was suitable for right handed one armed people such as myself and working with Sony's Play Station's Gaming Console. Daniel I would love this problem to become a solution in the very near future not only for everyone with my same situation but for myself as well. I was interested in and loved first person shooter games like Tom Clancy Splinter Cell OMG how miss playing Splinter Cell lol. I also like car racing games and so on... So if there is anyway possible for you and I or somebody within your business to speak a some more about this situation. I'm very Interested in what you guys do at IGDA and would like to design and build or purchase something that you may already have available from your company. Daniel it would mean the world to me!! Please contact me through Email. Thank you for your time.  

Post a Comment



XML